N. E. Montross (1849-1932), New York, NY, to 1907 
From 1907 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from N. E. Montross on October 17, 1907 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Freer to Montross, 17 October 1907, and Montross to Freer, 18 October 1907, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
N. E. Montross (C.L. Freer source) 1849 - 1932
- Published References
- Thomas Lawton Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. pp. 168-169, fig. 115.
- Charles Henry Caffin. The Art of Thomas W. Dewing. vol. 116, no.695, April 1908. p. 720.
- Susan Hobbs. The Art of Thomas Wilmer Dewing: Beauty Reconfigured. Exh. cat. Washington, 1996. p. 36, fig. 27.
- Martha Banta. Imaging American Women: Ideas and Ideals in Cultural History. New York, 1987. fig. 8.26.
- et al. Ten American Painters. Exh. cat. New York, May 8 - June 9, 1990. fig. 41.
- Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. Catalogue of the Exhibition of Paintings of Ten American Painters: exhibition held Apr. 11 - May 3, 1908. Exh. cat. Philadelphia. no. 35.
- Kathleen Pyne. Modernism and the Feminine Voice: O'Keefe and the Women of the Stieglitz Circle. Berkeley. pl. 9.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum