Obach & Co., London, to 1906 
From 1906 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Obach & Co. in 1906 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 20c, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Obach & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Clouds drifting close to the water; a beach indicated in the foreground. Signature at the lower right.
- Published References
- John Walker. James McNeill Whistler. Library of American Art (Harry N. Abrams, Inc.) New York. pl. 88.
- Christopher Finch. American Watercolors., 1st ed. New York, 1986. fig. 178.
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Burns A. Stubbs Freer Gallery of Art. Paintings, pastels, drawings, prints, and copper plates by and attributed to American and European artists, together with a list of original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art. Occasional Papers Series 1, Washington, D.C. p. 19.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 188, pl. 112.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum