Spier Collection, to 1906 
From 1906 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), puchased from the Spier Collection in 1906 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 11, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Julius Spier (C.L. Freer source) 1848 - 1923
Throughout the medieval period the Shigaraki kilns produced only unglazed stonewares. Basic ash and iron glazes came into use in the 16th century. They were used not only on storage jars but also on sturdy tablewares and kitchen wares.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum