H. Wunderlich & Co., New York, NY, to 1903 
From 1903 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from H. Wunderlich & Co., through Thomas Wilmer Dewing (1851-1938), in 1903 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See List of Whistler Objects Transferred to Smithsonian Institution, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. Although this image was purchased from H. Wunderlich & Company in March 1903, it was kept in the Reserve Section until January 1921, when it was transferred to Smithsonian Institution and given a registration number for that year. The registration number was later changed to correspond with the year of purchase.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
H. Wunderlich & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonne," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G299 state 1 of 2.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum