Bunshichi Kobayashi (circa 1861-1923), Boston, San Francisco, Tokyo, and Yokohama, to 1903 
From 1903 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunshichi Kobayashi in 1903 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono List, S.I. 433 Fan, L. 290, pg. 68, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Bunshichi Kobayashi (C.L. Freer source) circa 1861 - 1923
On one side of this circular fan is a painting illustrating a passage from the Tales of Ise, a work of narratives and poems probably composed in the tenth century by an unknown author. In this passage, travelers encounter a dark pass through the mountains. They sense the desolate remoteness from their familiar world in Kyoto and express this feeling in a poem:
Beside Mount Utsu
I can see you
nor, alas, even in my dreams.
On the other side of the fan is a painting of white chrysanthemums beside a stream. The flowers are painted in low relief, a technique known as moriage.
(Poetry translated by Helen Craig McCullough, Tales of Ise, Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1968)
- Published References
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 50, p. 168.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 131.
- Yuko Ikeda. Rinpa no tanoshimi (Favorites of Rinpa). Tokyo. .
- Zaigai Nihon no Shiho (Japanese Art : Selections from Western Collections). 10 vols., Tokyo, 1979 - 1980. pls. 60-61.
- Zaigai hiho (Japanese Paintings in Western Collections). 3 vols., Tokyo. p. 86.
- Martin Feddersen. Japanese Decorative Art: A Handbook for Collectors and Connoisseurs., 1st American ed. New York. p. 189, fig. 176.
- Mayuyama Junkichi. Japanese Art in the West. Tokyo. pl. 242.
- Rinpa kaiga zenshu (Paintings of Rinpa). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1977-1980. cat. 152.
- Yoshiaki Shimizu. An Individual Taste for Japanese Painting. vol. 118, no. 258 London, August 1983. cover, end leaf.
- Doris Croissant. Sotatsu und der Sotatsu-Stil: Untersuchungen zu Repertoire, Ikonographie und Asthetik der Malerei des Tawaraya Sotatsu (um 1600-1640). Munchener ostasiatische Studien: Sonderreihe, Bd. 3 Wiesbaden. pl. 24.
- Toshiko Ito. Ise monogatari-e. Showa 59 Tokyo. fig. 26.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum