T.J. Larkin, London, to 1902 
From 1902 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from T.J. Larkin in 1902 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 1160, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Thomas Joseph Larkin (C.L. Freer source) 1848 - 1915
Thirteenth-century Jun wares are distinguished by an opalescent blue glaze, which is often shot through with splashes of purple that result from copper in the glaze. When the Qianlong emperor (reigned 1736-95) was presented with this bowl, he ordered his appraisal of it as a "second-rate piece later than the Song dynasty [960-1279]" to be cut into the glaze. The importance of the bowl, the inscription explains, is that it was found by soldiers in China's northern frontier in Xinjiang Province, a territory that Qianlong had conquered for China in 1759. He justified his military exploits in the inscription: "Soldiers' encampments can safeguard the frontier peoples so that dwellers in small villages can endeavor to live happily for a hundred generations."
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum