Sir William Burrell (1861-1958), to 1902 
From 1902 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Sir William Burrell in 1902 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 23, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Sir William Burrell 1861 - 1958
A Renaissance doorway opens into a paged court across which the far side of the building is seen.
A masterpiece of Venetian Renaissance architecture, San Giovanni Apostolo e Evangelista is a scuola (meeting-and prayerhouse) for one of the five great fraternities into which Venetians historically banded together. Whistler stood outside the scuola, using the famous fifteenth-century carved, marble entry-screen to frame the distant building.
- Published References
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 262, pl. 251.
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Margaret F. MacDonald. Palaces in the Night: Whistler in Venice. Aldershot, Hampshire, England, 2001. p. 51, fig. 57.
- Albert Gallatin. Whistler's art dicta and other essays. Boston. p. 35.
- Charles Henry Caffin. The Art of James McNeill Whistler: Lecture at the Detroit Museum of Art. Detroit, Friday, April 23, 1909. p. 40.
- Albert Gallatin. Whistler: notes and footnotes and other memoranda. New York. p. 35.
- Thomas Robert Way. Memories of James McNeill Whistler, the artist. London. opp. p. 52.
- Robert H. Getscher. Whistler and Venice. Ann Arbor. pl. 23.
- Elizabeth Anne McCauley. Gondola Days: Isabella Stewart Gardner and the Palazzo Barbaro Circle. Exh. cat. Boston. p. 269, fig. 226.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum