Japanese Trading Company, New York to 1901 
From 1901 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Japanese Trading Company in 1901 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 976, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Japanese Trading Company (C.L. Freer source)
The eleventh head of the Kii house sponsored a garden kiln adjoining the Seineiken pavilion in his private villa, completed in 1834. The kiln was operated by Raku Tannyu, tenth head of the Raku workshop in Kyoto, but many pieces were made by the lord, his consort and relatives. This tea caddy in the style of sixteenth-century Iga ware is surely an amateur piece. Inventories show that the kiln was fired a total of only five times between 1834 and 1846, the year of the lord's death.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum