Yamanaka & Company, to 1898 
From 1898 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Yamanaka & Company in 1898 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 593, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. The majority of Charles Lang Freer’s purchases from Yamanaka & Company were made at its New York branch. Yamanaka & Company maintained branch offices, at various times, in Boston, Chicago, London, Peking, Shanghai, Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto. During the summer, the company also maintained seasonal locations in Newport, Bar Harbor, and Atlantic City.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Yamanaka and Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Large quantities of ceramics made at kilns in southern China, including Zhangzhou, were shipped to Japan in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries.
- Published References
- Yuko Suzuki. Egorai - An Examination of Excavated Examples. vol. 5. pp. 50-77, fig. 4.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum