M. Knoedler & Co., New York to 1893 
From 1893 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from M. Knoedler & Co., New York, in March of 1893 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See List of Whistler Objects transferred to Smithsonian Institution, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This print is part of a set that was purchased from Knoedler and Co. in March of 1893. The set was kept in the Reserve Section until January of 1921, when it was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution and each print given a registration number for that year (see Curatorial Remark 1, G. D. Guest, 1921, in the object package). See also, Accession List, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
M. Knoedler & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonné," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G108, state not provided.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum