Celebrate Women’s History Month and the opening of the landmark exhibition Empresses of China’s Forbidden City, 1644–1912, with activities for all ages throughout the museums. Be transported into the imperial complex known as the Forbidden City through fascinating curator talks, performances, food, and art activities on this special day.
• Exhibition tours with curator Jan Stuart, 12 and 2 pm, Sackler, level B1 lobby
• Food for an Empress: taste recipes from the Chinese imperial court, 12–4 pm, Sackler, ImaginAsia Studio
• Entertainment for an Empress: Chinese classical musical theater performances by Shanghai Kunqu Troupe, 1 and 3:30 pm, Freer, Meyer Auditorium
• Create your own royal portrait, 12–4 pm, Sackler pavilion
• Write letters to women of the past, 12–4 pm, Sackler, level B1 lobby
• Fly Chinese kites, 12–4 pm, Freer plaza (weather permitting)