Join us for a rich day of activities for all ages exploring aspects of Buddhist art and practice as we celebrate the new exhibitions Encountering the Buddha and Secrets of the Lacquer Buddha. Be transported on a journey across the Buddhist world, from India to China, Japan, Sri Lanka, and beyond. Experience timeless artworks, hear inspiring musical performances by members of the Silkroad Ensemble, listen to stories from the life of the Buddha, and trace the paths of Buddhist journeys past and present.
• curator-led gallery talks
• pop-up musical performances by members of the Silkroad Ensemble
• a conversation on the book Hyecho’s Journey: The World of Buddhism with authors Donald Lopez, Kevin Carr, Chun Wa, and Rebecca Bloom
• a book signing with the authors of Hyecho’s Journey and Paths of Perfection
• Open Studio: hands-on art-making activity
• life of the Buddha storytelling
• cooking demonstration inspired by Buddhist traditions