Nowruz: A Persian New Year Celebration
Saturday, March 16, 2019, 11 am–5 pm
Freer|Sackler and Ripley Center
Ring in the Persian New Year at our eleventh annual Nowruz celebration! Welcome spring with free attractions for all ages, including performances, storytelling, hands-on activities, and more.
The celebration will include:
- Haft sin table displays, featuring seven symbolic objects to welcome the new year
- Zahhak: The Legend of the Serpent King, a shadow-puppet play based on the Persian Shahnameh, created by Hamid Rahmanian
- interactive storytelling by Xanthe Gresham
- calligraphy demonstrations
- chances to create Nowruz cards, crowns, and puppets
- pop-up concerts in the galleries
- book signing of Cooking in Iran with chef and cookbook author Najmieh Batmanglij
- Persian food from Moby Dick House of Kabob and Le Caprice Bakery available for purchase
- featured exhibitions Engaging the Senses, Feast Your Eyes, and Shaping Clay in Ancient Iran
Made possible by the Jahangir and Eleanor Amuzegar Persian Cultural Celebrations Fund.